Grove Vets have a Weightwatchers clinic specially run for dogs who are overweight. If you are worried that your dog might be overweight or that they are heading in that direction here are some fun activities which you could try. A bit of extra exercise may be al that your pet needs to help slim them down.
- Set up an obstacle course – use a broomstick to build some low hurdles, make tunnels out of cardboard boxes and a slalom which your dog and race around.
- Play Hide and Seek – Don’t hide from you dog – instead hide treats and toys around the house or a garden and encourage your dog to search for them
- Fetch races – Get you dogs favourite toy and play fetch. Try to get you dog running further with each throw.
- Use your house – Put you dog on their lead and walk them up and down your staircase.
- Take two walks instead of one – If you are used to taking regular walks try to add another later in the day. It is important to incorporate hills and distance for your dog.
- Jog with your dog – If you are able take you dog out on their lead and have regular interval of jogging walking and power walking.
If you dog is overweight and unable to take regular exercise then it is best to get some help from our clinic nurses. They can tailor and exercise programme and an eating regime which will help your dog to lose weight in a safe and healthy way. Please call us here at Grove Vets on 028 256562023 to arrange your appointment at our free pet weight loss clinic.